International VELUX Award (IVA) is a biennial ideas competition
for students of architecture. It invites students from all over the
world to create projects investigating the role of daylight in our
everyday lives. Endorsed by the UIA since 2004, the theme of each
edition is “Light of Tomorrow”. The competition encourages
students to approach the subject of daylight in architecture
experimentally, and to explore questions of aesthetics, functionality,
sustainability, and the interaction between buildings and environment.
International VELUX Award has enjoyed increasing numbers of
participants since its inception in 2004. More than 10,000 students
from more than 800 schools across the globe have participated.
or individual future architects (assisted by an architecture professor
from their school) may choose between two categories: Daylight in
Buildings and Daylight Investigations. Multidisciplinary
teams are encouraged.
(enrolled during the 2021-2022 academic year) may register on the VELUX platform until 1
April 2022. Registration is free.
are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The work with daylighting as a premise for
- How the project is researched and documented.
- How the project addresses contemporary and
- The level of experimentation and innovation.
- The overall graphic presentation of the
project, how the project presents itself.
total prize money is 30,000 €.
international jury includes the following architects:
- Fuensanta Nieto (Spain), UIA Representative
- John Ronan
- Anupama Kundoo (India)
- Rainer Hofmann (Germany)
- Martin Løkke
jury will meet in July 2022, to evaluate the submitted projects and
choose 10 regional winners from each of the five UIA member regions 1)
Western Europe, 2) Eastern Europe and the Middle East, 3) the Americas,
4) Asia + Oceania and 5) Africa.
jury will select 5 regional winners from each region, who will progress
to the final step, presenting their projects before the jury at the
World Architecture Forum (WAF), held in Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
The jury will then select the two global winners.
- Registration closes: 1 April 2022
- Deadline for questions and opening of
submissions: 15 April 2022
- Submission deadline: 15 June 2022
- Jury meeting and announcement of the 10
Regional Winners: July 2022
- Winners announcement and online exhibition: December
more information, visit the UIA website.